Thursday, February 12, 2015

La Sirena and Valle de Elqui

After San  Pedro, I took a hellish 16 hour bus ride to La Sirena.  It's a charming touristy town on the coast of Chile.  Right now tourists from Chile and all over are flocking here for the beaches.  I really liked my stay here in this charming town mainly because I met up with my friend from Austria here for three days.
In the neighboring city to La Sirena (Coquimbo) is a giant cross on the top of the hill.  
From the cross is a beautiful view of the city.
Me and my friend Pia from Austria (currently working in Buenos Aires) atop the cross.


Children swimming on the pier as a Pirate ship rolls by with tourists (Coquimbo).
In Coquimbo the streets zig zag up and down connecting the neighborhoods with beauitful Caribbean like colors of the houses.

Chilean kid blowing bubbles in the park.
Street dog taking a nap near a milkshake stand.  literally two minutes later a women dropped her milkshake on this poor pup.  It would have been amazing to get a mid-air milkshake spill shot.  The street dogs in Chile are so friendly and are literally everywhere.

After three days in La Sirena it was time to head to Pisco Elqui.  Here the famous Pisco is made which is the most famous alchohol in Peru.  I wanted to camp here, in the dessert.   When I showed up all the young people with tents were going to one campground called Ranchero Rodriguez.  I decided to camp here and it turned out it was a giant party with DJ and bonfire.



Here some beautiful Chilean boys drinking melon with white wine (Melvin).  It is a very famous drink here and something often romanticized by the people of Chile.
Bonfire in full form tonight as the DJ plays his reggaeton.

Wake up the next morning and who is sleeping next to me?  A rowdy street dog, In the bottom of the pic my tent pegs which were evidently not used.
People were so friendly here.  Everyone is cooking BBQ (Parilla/Asado) and everyone is willing to share their chorizos... so nice.  I didn't really want to spend another night here because it was a crazy party place.  It was good for one night but I really wanted to head to Valpo 8 hours down the coast.
Some kids came to me asking if i could help them hotwire their van because they wanted to go to Valpo.  Just my luck.  I asked them for a ride and they offered.  halfway through the journey we stopped at a roadside stand that had the best cheese empanadas in the world.  The kids were very nice but large rugby guys and the van was very full.  With all the Sunday traffic heading to Valpo the supposedly 8 hour ride turned into 12 hours.


No comments:

Post a Comment