Friday, January 2, 2015

Huaraz, Peru for Christmas


I made it to the mountains for Christmas.  This way I could have a typical Canadian Christmas.  Huaraz, is a beautiful mountain town in the heart of Peru.  The family at my hostel had me for dinner with their family.  It was a great dinner with turkey, stuffing, apple sauce and mashed potatoes.
Huaraz had many alleyways and plazas tucked away behind restaurants and cafes with beautiful walls, art and brick walkways.

Christmas Eve in Peru is the big day of the Holidays, not Christmas Day.  Here are tonnes of vendors and people in anticipation of the big night.  At midnight,the most glorious display of fireworks I have ever seen went off around the city and we watched from our hostel terrace.
Kid and dog ride bike.
On Xmas Day I got to the top of this hill on a bicycle.  Half took a bus the other half walked and rode.  After that it was all downhill.  Its just too bad it started to rain.  Its rainy season right now in Huaraz and without doubt it would rain everyday, usually in the late afternoon.

How cheap is the fruit in Peru?  2 soles which is 66 cents gets you one kilogram of mangoes.  
This guy on the left stole my sunglasses.  In all honesty though they were broken.  I am not sure what he is doing with them.  He is probably looking like a goof wearing my broken sunglasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment